You can add an existing field to a roadmap or create a new field just before adding it. If you need a refresher on fields and how they work together with roadmap items and views, go to Items, fields and views in the Quick Guide.
Adding an existing field to your roadmap
Fields are added to a roadmap's items in the Items Table.
IMPORTANT: You can also add fields to a roadmap's milestones in the Milestones Table. Just follow the same steps but in the Milestones Table instead. For more on milestones, go to Add milestones to a roadmap and Manage and work with milestones.
Add the field
1. To open the Items Table, click the Items icon on the View navbar.
2. In the Items Table, click the Add Field (+) icon on the far right of the table header.
3. In the Add Field dropdown, start typing to search for the field or scroll down the list.
4. Select the field.
TIP: Before adding the field, check the dropdown's list of Hidden Fields just in case the field is already in the roadmap but is hidden or not visible because of the view's filters. If you still don't see the field you want, you will need to create the field before you add it (+ Create New Field selection). We show you how further on in the article.
Once the field is added to the Items Table, you can populate the field for any of the items in the roadmap.
TIP: If you don't see all the roadmap's items in the Items Table, it's most likely because of the open view's filterset. To see all the items in the roadmap, select All Data from the View dropdown on the Roadmap navbar. For more on All Data, go to View All Data.
Populate the field
There are three types of fields you can add in Roadmunk: Free-Form Text, List, and Multi-Select List (more on field types further on in the article).
To populate a Free-form Text field:
Click inside the field in the table and start typing.
To populate a List or Multi-select List field:
1. Click the field in the table to open the field dropdown and view the available values.
2. Select a value in the list. If the field is a Multi-select List field, you can select more than one value.
TIP: If you don't see the value you want, click the Add Value (+) selection at the bottom of the list to add it to the list. If the selection is grayed-out and disabled. you don't have permission to edit the field and can't add new values to it. For more on field permissions, go to Add field Editors and change field permissions.
Using a Starred field in a roadmap
When you add a field to a roadmap, you'll notice that some of the fields in the Add Field dropdown have stars next to them.
Starred fields have been specially marked by your Account Admin to identify them as one of the standard fields in your account. The star encourages you to use the field in all your roadmaps instead of creating roadmap-specific duplicates.
Starred fields help promote re-use of standard fields across all roadmaps in your account in order to achieve cross-roadmap alignment and, ultimately, cross-organization alignment.
To use a Starred field, add it to the roadmap like any other field following the steps above.
Creating and adding a new field
If you want to add a field to a roadmap and you don't see it in the Add Field dropdown, it means the field does not exist in the Roadmunk account and needs to be created.
Create a new field in the Items Table
1. In the Items Table, click the Add Field (+) icon on the far right of the table header.
2. At the bottom of the dropdown, click + Create New Field to open the New Field dialog.
Creating a Free-Form Text field
1. In the New Field dialog, select Free-Form Text in the Type dropdown.
2. Enter a Name for the field, e.g, Comments or Notes.
3. Click Create Field.
Create a List or Multi-Select List field
List and Multi-Select List fields are created the same way. The only difference is that more than one value can be selected for a Multi-Select List field.
1. In the New Field dialog, select List or Multi-Select List in the Type dropdown.
2. Enter a Name for the field.
3. Enter the first value you want in the field's list and then click Add.
4. Keep adding values to the list in the same way.
5. To change the order of the values in the list, click and drag values to their new position.
6. To delete a value from the list, click the Delete icon.
7. When you're done adding and arranging values, click Create Field.
Create a new field in the item card
You can also create and add a new field when you have a roadmap item open in the item card (View and edit item details).
1. In the item card, click the Fields tab.
2. At the bottom of the tab, click the + Add Field button.
3. In the New Field dialog, create the field following the steps above.
What happens when you create a new field?
When you create a new field and add it to a roadmap, the field is added to your Roadmunk account and is available for use in ALL roadmaps, not just the roadmap where you add it.
When you create a new field in your Roadmunk account, you automatically become its Owner. As the Owner, you can edit the field any time, and you can share the field with other users in your account by adding them to the field as Editors. Field Editors can do everything the Owner can except share the field and delete the field.
To find out more, go to Add field Editors and change field permissions.
Who can create and add fields to a roadmap?
To create and add a field to a roadmap, you must be the roadmap's Owner OR the roadmap must be shared with you as an Editor.