Roadmunk's Import step-through dialog makes importing milestones from a CSV as easy as 1, 2, 3: Upload, map, import.
Set up the CSV
There's some simple formatting the CSV file needs to follow for the import to work.
The file must have:
- a Milestone Free-form Text field that can be mapped to the roadmap's Milestones field in Roadmunk (this is the only required field)
- a first row with the field names (header row)
- only Date, Free-form Text, List, and Multi-select custom fields (see Field types and field mapping further on in the article)
The file should have (to make things easier):
- a Description Free-form Text field
- a Date field with a single date
- a Milestone Type List field (e.g., Tradeshow, Release, etc.)
Start the import
Start the import of the CSV file in the Milestones Table.
1. Click the Import from CSV button (appears only if the roadmap has no milestones).
2. On the View navbar, click the Import icon.
3. In the dropdown, select Import from CSV.
Upload the CSV
The Import CSV dialog walks you through the import, starting with uploading the CSV file.
1. In the Import CSV dialog, drop the CSV file onto the Upload CSV tab or click to browse and select the file.
Map fields between the CSV and Roadmunk
The next step is mapping CSV File milestone field to Roadmunk milestone fields.
1. In the Field Mapping tab, you should see the CSV File Milestone field mapped to the Roadmunk Milestone field.
2. You should also see any custom fields in the CSV File fields mapped to the corresponding Roadmunk fields. If a corresponding field doesn't exist, Roadmunk creates a New one.
TIP: If you decide you don't want to import one of the custom CSV File fields, click Remove in the corresponding Roadmunk field's dropdown.
3. The CSV File Date field is mapped to the Roadmunk Date field.
4. Roadmunk auto-detects the Date format in the CSV file and sets the format in Roadmunk to match. If the formats don't match, select the right one in the Date Format dropdown.
5. If everything looks good, click Next.
For detailed help on mapping fields, see Field types and field mapping and More about field mapping below.
Finish the import
1. The Import tab shows a quick summary of how the milestones will be imported.
2. To finish the import, click Update & Overwrite All.
Field types and field mapping
Field types in the CSV file must be one of the types currently supported by Roadmunk as described here.
Dates in the CSV file must be a numerical value in one of these formats:
IMPORTANT: All dates must be in the same format, and only dates between 2010 and 2040 can be imported.
Free-form Text fields
Free-form Text fields can contain any alphanumeric value including URLs.
A List field can contain a single value from a list of values.
Multi-select List fields
A Multi-select List field is like a List field except that it contain one or more values from a list. In the CSV file, each value selected from the list must be in quotation marks and multiple values must be separated by commas.
More about field mapping
1. For a successful import, CSV File fields must be mapped correctly to Roadmunk fields.
2. Roadmunk automatically matches each CSV File field to an existing field in Roadmunk of the same type.
If a matching field doesn't exist, Roadmunk creates a New field with a matching type. The new field is added to Roadmunk during the import using the name in the CSV File field's header. For example, if a new field is created to match a Status field in the CSV file, the field will be named "Status" in Roadmunk.
3. If a match doesn't look right, you can select a different field in the Roadmunk field's dropdown, as long as it's the same type.
4. To change the order of the CSV File fields, change the field headers as needed, then select the correct matching Roadmunk fields.
Who can import roadmap items from a CSV?
Importing milestones to a roadmap is the same as adding roadmap milestones. You must be the roadmap's Owner OR the roadmap must be shared with you as an Editor.
If a roadmap has been shared with you as Viewer, you have view-only access to the roadmap and can't import milestones to it. You'll see a View Only icon on the Roadmap navbar, and the Import icon on the View navbar will be grayed-out and disabled.