In order to better manage your team members and ensure that the correct team members have the correct level of access to specific Roadmunk features and actions, we recommend reviewing the different roles that account users can have and the types of permissions that these users can have assigned to them.
There are three types of roles that can be assigned to a user in Roadmunk:
- Account Admin
Each role has its own level of permissions to access the application's features and actions.
Users who are setup with Reviewer licenses are able to:
- View and comment on roadmaps that are shared with them in the Roadmaps module
- Submit feedback through the Feedback module or Chrome Extension
- View and comment on Ideas in the Ideas module
- Add new customers and contacts in the Customers module
This role is built for users who only require oversight into products and do not require the ability to build and edit roadmaps (such as director or executive level team members). This role is also well suited for those who provide input into the products in-flight, whether through feedback submission or commenting on active roadmaps (such as customer-facing team members).
Users who are setup with Collaborator licenses are able to do everything Reviewers can, plus:
- Create, manage, and own roadmaps in the Roadmaps module
- Actively collaborate on roadmaps with team members on their account in the Roadmaps module
- Create, manage, and own roadmap & account fields in the Roadmaps module
- Create, manage, and own products & components in the Feedback and Ideas modules
- Create and manage custom factors in the Ideas module
- Edit and remove customer and contact details in the Customers module
This role is the most common for a majority of users, as it provides team members with the tools necessary to build boardroom-ready roadmaps based on team-reviewed, customer-submitted feedback and ideas.
Users who are setup with Account Admin licenses are able to do everything Collaborators can, plus:
- View, update, share, re-assign, or remove any roadmaps on the account
- View, update, share, merge, promote, archive, or remove any field in the account
- Access the Company, Users, Permissions, and Billing tabs in the Account Settings
- Can toggle collaborator and reviewer access for Feedback and Ideas on and off
This role is best suited for administrators or team leaders in an organization who want to onboard their team and manage roadmaps at the departmental level.
In-App User Permissions Overview
Working in tandem with these roles, there are three distinct permissions that users can be assigned when handling content within the application: Owner, Editor, and Viewer. These user permissions can be applied at the roadmap level to determine how Reviewers, Collaborators, and Account Admins interact with Roadmunk's features and functions.
For example, users with a collaborator license can be assigned any of the three user permissions on a roadmap (Owner, Editor, and Viewer) because they are able to create, own, and manage roadmaps.
User permissions at a glance
The table below shows which user permissions can be assigned to each user role.
User Permissions in Roadmapping
User permissions determine how Reviewers, Collaborators, and Account Admins can each interact with a particular roadmap.
Roadmap Sharing & Ownership
Only Collaborators and Account Admins can create and own roadmaps. Every roadmap in Roadmunk has an Owner role, which is automatically assigned to the person who creates the roadmap.
Transferring Roadmap Ownership
A roadmap Owner can transfer ownership of a roadmap to another Collaborator or Account Admin. Roadmaps can have only one Owner at a time. When ownership is transferred, the original Owner automatically becomes an Editor (see Sharing roadmaps).
Roadmap Owners can share their roadmap with any user in the same Roadmunk account.
- Account Admins - When an Owner shares a roadmap with an Account Admin, the Account Admin is automatically added as an Editor.
- Collaborators - When an Owner shares a roadmap with a Collaborator, they can choose whether to add them to the roadmap an Editor or a Viewer.
- Reviewers - When an Owner shares a roadmap with a Reviewer, they can only add them to the roadmap as a Viewer.
Sharing permissions can be edited at any time by the roadmap Owner or by any Account Admin on their account.
Roadmap Owners can delete any roadmap they own, while Account Admins can delete any roadmap in their team's Roadmunk account. For more details, check out our article on managing roadmaps.
User-Specific Permissions on Roadmaps
|Add comments & mentions||✓||✓||✓|
|Add, Edit, & Delete Items & Milestones||✓||✓|
|Create, Promote, & Remove Fields||✓||✓|
|Create New Views||✓||✓|
|Export Views to PNG/HTML||✓||✓||✓|
|Publish Roadmap to URL||✓||✓|
|Export Items to CSV||✓||✓|
|Change Share Permissions||✓|
|Change Roadmap Owner||✓|
NOTE: Because of their special permissions, Account Admins can do everything an Owner can do even if the roadmap hasn't been shared with them.
User-Specific Permissions on Master Roadmaps
|View Master Roadmap||✓||✓||✓|
|Edit Master Roadmap||✓||✓|
|Set & Update Sources||✓|
|Export Master Roadmap to PNG/HTML||✓||✓||✓|
|Export Items to CSV||✓|
|Share Master Roadmap||✓|
|Change Master Roadmap Owner||✓|
|Rename Master Roadmap||✓|
|Duplicate Master Roadmap||✓||✓||✓|
|Delete Master Roadmap||✓|
NOTE: An Editor on a Master Roadmap is only able to edit items rolled-up into the Master from roadmaps that they already own or have permission to edit. Additionally, Account Admins can do everything an Owner can do even if the Master Roadmap hasn't been shared with them.
Field permissions determine how Reviewers, Collaborators, and Account Admins can each interact with a particular field. Unlike with roadmaps, users are assigned as Team Members on a specific field. For more details on how fields work in Roadmunk, check out our articles on field management here.
Only Collaborators and Account Admins can be added as Team Members on fields. The person who creates a field will automatically be assigned as a team member on that field.
Sharing Fields with Team Members
Unlike roadmaps, fields can't be shared with Reviewers. They can be shared only with Collaborators and Account Admins in the same Roadmunk account.
Editing and merging fields
Any user can edit and merge fields they are a team member on.
NOTE: To merge fields, a user must at least be a team member on the source field. If values are added to the destination field as a result of the merge, the user must also be a team member of the destination field (for more details, check out our article on merging fields).
Any user can delete a field they're a team member on. Account Admins can delete any field in a Roadmunk account, regardless of whether it's been shared with them or not.