For more information on user permissions, click here.
Terms to Know
- Context Panel - The left-hand panel of the Item Card which shows any additional user-generated context data, along with any linked items and ideas.
- Fields Tab - The first tab of the right-hand panel of the Item card which shows any assigned fields that have been specified by the user/team for this item.
- Activity Tab - The second tab of the right-hand panel of the Item card which shows a log of changes and user comments which have been made on the item.
- WYSIWYG - Literally stands for "What You See Is What You Get", typically applying to editors or controls in an interface (in this case, our text editor in Description Fields).
When working in the Roadmaps module, all items that you create will have an associated Item Card which houses all of that particular item's data - including any assigned field values, attached files, and a helpful activity log. To access the Item Card, simply click into the name of any item from the Items Table view or click into an item on your roadmap from your Swimlane or Timeline view.
Navigating the Item Card
There are three main sections in your Item Card - the Context Panel, the Fields Tab, and the Activity Tab. In these sections, users are able to easily locate and update the following data:
- Item Name - Located at the top of the card, this Item Name can be edited and updated at any time by clicking into the name.
- Description - The first section on the context panel in your item card. This can be edited at any time by clicking into the body text of the description or by clicking the Edit button in the top-right corner of this section.
- Attachments - Users with collaborator and admin permissions are able to upload files (up to 10MB per file) into this section and download them as needed.
- Linked Items - A list of all item linked relationships which have been generated and linked out to another item on the roadmap/another roadmap for this specific item.
- Sub-items - If the item you're viewing is for a parent item, the sub-items section will be populated with a navigable list of all linked child items.
- Ideas - If the item you're viewing has been linked to any active ideas in the Ideas module, this section will be populated with a navigable list of all linked Ideas
- Key Dates - Users can add marked events against the current span of the Date field which are visible on your items in the Item Card and Timeline view by clicking the + Key Date button
- Comment Box - Located at the bottom of the field tab and the activity tab, users can quickly submit comments which will appear in-line with the logged activities.
- Delete Button - Should you need to delete an existing item, it can be quickly and easily removed by clicking on the delete button in the bottom-left corner of the Item Card.
Adding a Description to your Item Card
Considering that the item card can be viewed by both internal users from the building environment and external users in the published environment, the Description Field is an extremely valuable place to store additional context on an item and provide your end-users and teammates with more insight into the decisions and direction being made around this item.
In Roadmunk, we use a WYSIWYG editor to simplify the setup process. In this editor, users are able to navigate the toolbar to generate rich text elements in their Description Field. Alternatively, they can use one of the following key commands to update the content of the description:
Managing & Ordering Fields on your Item Card
Adding & Defining Field Values to the Item Card
Fields that are added to your Items Table view are automatically visible on the Item Card, and new fields can be added from the Item Card at any time by clicking into the + Field button at the bottom of the Fields Tab. Once the fields are added, users with edit permissions for the roadmap are able to adjust the current date span of an item and apply user-specified field values to their items through the field drop-downs listed in the Fields Tab.
Ordering & Reordering Fields on Item Card
The fields on your item card are ordered based on the field order in you All Data view of your roadmap; however, users with edit permissions on the roadmap can easily adjust this order in your cards by clicking onto the draggable element on the left hand side of the field and moving the field to the correct space. All fields, with the exception of the Date field, can be reordered as needed and the order will be retained once the card has been updated.
- What from the item card is visible on a published roadmap? All values in the context panel, with the exception of the Attachments section, are visible in the published roadmap view. While the fields tab is visible on published roadmaps, the activity tab and any internal-user comments are not.
- Can I reorder fields for multiple source roadmaps from a Portfolio roadmap? No - not at this time. Field order is roadmap-specific, which means that the fields on the item card will appear in their source roadmap-specified order in the Portfolio Roadmap view.
- Are there any limits to the length of the description or the number of attached files? Yes - Item Card Descriptions have a limit of 10000 characters, inclusive of Markdown formatting, while the Attachment Limit 10MB per file, with an upward storage limit defined by your plan (1GB - 100GB)
- Why is a field greyed out? If the field in question was created in Roadmunk, this would usually mean that you don't have the appropriate permissions to make changes on this roadmap. If the field was created through the Jira Integration, this would typically mean that the field is marked as read-only by either your project's field settings in Jira or by Atlassian's API.